Article 'the' is known as definite article. Here are some rules for using definite articles. These rules can be very useful while solving common error problems in competitive exams.
Rule: Definite article ‘the’ is used when we talk about the person or thing which was mentioned earlier.
- Shruti drew a picture. The picture was beautiful.
- I met a boy. The boy was intelligent.
- Give me the ball which you bought yesterday.
Rule: Definite article ‘the’ is used when a singular noun is representing a whole class.
- The cow is a friendly animal.
- The rose is a beautiful flower.
- The lion is a dangerous animal.
Rule: Before the names of mountain ranges, group of islands, rivers, oceans, gulfs, desserts, forests etc.
- The Himalayas
- The Ganga
- The Andamans
- The Amazon
- The Pacific Ocean
- The Sahara
- The Vrindavan Forest
Rule: Before the names of newspapers and magazines.
- The Hindu
- The Times of India
Rule: Before the names of religious and mythological books.
- The Ramayana
- The Mahabharat
- The Bibal
Rule: Before the name of historical places.
- The Tajmahal
- The Lalkilla
Rule: Before the name of religious community, political party, nationality, trains, ships, government departments.
- The Hindus
- The BJP
- The Shatabdi Express
- The Income Tax department
- The Army
- The Indian
Rule: Before the words showing position.
- The top
- The bottom
- The inside
- The back
- The front
Rule: ‘The’ is used in superlative degree.
- She is the most beautiful girl in the college.
- Usain Bolt is the fastest person on the planet.
- He is the most sincere student in the class.
Rule: ‘The’ is used before the names of natural things.
- The Sun
- The Moon
- The Planet
- The River
- The Mountain
Rule: ‘The’ is used before the ordinals.
- The first
- The second
- The last