In the following questions, the 1st and the last sentences are numbered 1 and 6. The rest of the sentence/ passage is split into four parts and named P, Q, R, and S. These four sentences / parts are not given in their proper order. Read the sentence / passage and find out which of the four combinations is correct. Then find the correct answer.
Click on the options to check whether it is right or wrong.
46. 1. The system of Sati prevailed among upper caste Hindus in the 19th century.
P. However, reformers like Raja Ram Mohan Roy, launched powerful anti-Sati campaign.
Q. Between 1815 and 1818 in Bengal alone, 800 women became Sati.
R. The British did not take any legal action against this practice.
S. They feared a backlash from orthodox elements.
6. Lord Williams Bentinck was responsible for passing a law abolishing Sati.
47. 1. It is interesting to note that English was offered as a subject in England only in 1828.
P. The course offered was on the English language and not on literature.
Q. Instead it was offered in the newly started University College founded in 1886.
R. It was only in 1831 that English literature was offered at King’s College.
S. Even then it was not offered in prestigious Universities like Oxford.
6. Before that, only classics in Greek and Latin were taught at Oxford.
48. 1. Brainstorming requires a focus question that is clear and unambiguous.
P. One strategy to implement a brain-storm would be to write down the question.
Q. In fact, participants must be encouraged to suggest any response, however strange.
R. It is important that no value be attached to the responses at this stage.
S. Participants can then document near the question the responses from the group.
6. The aim would be to allow individual ideas to spark off each other.
49. 1. The pen
P. which has helped man
Q. is the vehicle of
R. to rise above
S. thought and ideas
6. purely savage condition.
50. 1. India is mostly the land of village.
P. India was very backward before independence.
Q. But after independence India has made tremendous progress
R. Most of the people live in villages
S. Agriculture is the main occupation of these people.
6. Today India exports many industrial goods all over the world.