Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to each question out of the four alternative.
Click on the options to check whether it is right or wrong.
Fingerprints are the marks made by the ridges on the ends of the fingers and thumbs. These ridges form a pattern that stays the same throughout a person’s life. No two persons have ever had the same fingerprints. So fingerprints are a foolproof way of identifying a person.
A fingerprints record is made in an interesting manner. A small piece of metal is coated with a thin film of ink. Next, a person’s finger and thumb tips are pressed against the inked surface. Then the fingertips are pressed on a white card. The prints are recorded in exact detail.
Fingerprinting is often used to solve crimes. Fingerprints are picked up at the scene of a crime. These are compared with those of a suspect. Millions of fingerprints are kept on files by police departments.
Fingerprinting is also used in finding missing persons and identifying unknown dead. It is used to screen people who apply for certain jobs.
It is thought that the Chinese used thumbprints to sign documents a long time before Christ. The system used today was invented by Sir Francis Galton in the 1880’s. In 1901 Sir E.R. Henry found a simple way of grouping fingerprints. Hits system is used by many law-enforcement organizations.
1. Fingerprints are the most _____ way of identifying a person.
2. The main reason why fingerprinting is used for identification is that
- every individual has a unique set of fingerprints
- every set of fingerprints falls into a pattern
- records of fingerprints can be maintained
- fingerprints can be picked up even after a crime
3. Who first evolved a system of using finger impressions to authenticate documents?
- Sir Francis Galton
- Sir E.R. Henry
- The Chinese
- The Britishers
4. The present system of recording fingerprints is around ______ years old.
5. The fingerprints are stored for record
- on a whit card
- on an inked surface
- on paper files
- on a small piece of metal